Here are pros and cons for #Estimates vs #NoEstimates. I don’t judge. I believe that there is no general rule for using these, but you need to listen and to help client/team/managers to make the decision which is the most useful for the product/project.
- Gives stakeholders (rough, more or less) idea about features and project size;
- Ignites the discussion within a team;
- Team is learning through process of estimation
- Estimates are usually wrong;
- Time for a team to estimate is a waste;
- Estimations in time
- Force small (comparable) size of user stories;
- No time (waste) for estimation – start working immediately;
- Client is blind for deadline;
- Needs great trust in team;
- possibly no discussion in planning phase;
- possibly big user stories in sprint breaks the concept;
- User stories need to have business value – sometimes splitting user stories are loosing business value.